There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Micro" Management


As we draw to the end of another school year, a moment I dread is also fast approaching...the inevitable (and yes, most likely, the annual) cleaning of my son's dorm room microwave...yuck!

Yes, you and I know that it's best to clean your microwave as soon as a spill occurs. But for tough cases like the one I have heading my way soon, try Heloise's suggestion (Good Housekeeping, 10/10):
* Fill a microwave-safe bowl with 1C of water and a handful of cut-up citrus fruit and rinds plus a few drops of vanilla or peppermint extract (or some cloves). Be sure that the bowl itself is 4C or larger.
* Heat this mixture on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until the water is bubbling then turn off the microwave but don't open the door for at least 15 minutes.
* Remove the bowl and wipe all of the internal surfaces of the microwave with a damp sponge.
*Wipe off outside surfaces with multipurpose cleaner on a towel or sponge (but not on knobs or controls.

OR...better yet, give these instructions to your college student...yet another life-skill that is likely to be ignored!


No comments:

Post a Comment