Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Klutz-proofing!


Ok, I admit it! I am well-organized, I volunteer, I work full-time, I'm a mom and yes...(wait for it...), I'm a klutz with a capital "K"! So when "USA Weekend" (6/24-26/11) included an article entitled "Know when to use an ice pack or a hot pack," I was pretty sure they were targeting me specifically!

Still, these are good reminders for all of us with so much outdoor summertime activity (or in my case even indoors just tripping down the stairs...ah, so sad!):

Cold: use on new injuries such as sprained ankles, sore elbows, bruises or as a last "attack" on aching joints or arthritis). When you can't locate an ice pack, try a bag of frozen peas...works perfectly!

Heat: use for chronic (ongoing) pain or muscle aches or instead of cold pack if you are particularly sensitive to cold.

When in doubt, consult your doctor, particularly if you have diabetes or any condition that can cause poor circulation or impaired nerve sensation. Also, always wrap your ice pack or hot pack in a towel before using it to avoid injuring your skin. Also stay awake when using either type of pack and with a cold pack apply it for no longer than 20 minutes and then wait 20 minutes before using it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment