Monday, June 27, 2011
You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream!
I can't remember the last time I had real homemade ice cream, but "USA Weekend" (6/24-26, 2011) provided a great substitute! Simply start with a pint of store-bought iced cream (plain vanilla, chocolate or coffee-flavored) and "smash" in your favorite goodies...some examples:
Use vanilla ice cream to make these versions:
* Salted Caramel - fold in 1/4 cup of caramel sauce and 1 cup coarsely crumbled pretzel nuggets.
* Ginger-Peach Cobbler - plump 1/2 cup finely diced dried peaches in 3 Tbsp. peach schnapps over low heat. Fold mixture into the ice cream with 1/2 cup candied pecans and 1 cup coarsely crumbled ginger snaps.
Use chocolate ice-cream for these variations:
* Black Forest - stir in 2 Tbsp. brandy into 1/2 cup cherry preserves. Fold into chocolate ice cream along with 1 cup crumbled chocolate wafer cookies.
* Chocolate-Hazelnut - stir 1/4 cup Nutella, 1 cup of crumbled chocolate wafer cookies and 1/2 cup roasted chopped hazelnuts into chocolate ice cream.
And here's a great mixture with coffee ice cream:
* Mocha Latte - stir 1/2 cup crushed chocolate-covered espresso beans, 1/2 cup heavy cream (whipped to stiff peaks) and 1 cup crumbled chocolate wafer cookies into slightly softened coffee ice cream...
Yum! Some hints: Don't soften the ice cream too much. Cut the carton away from the ice cream and then cut the ice cream into chunks on a work surface to make it easier to fold items in. Finally, return the ice cream to the freezer to firm up and to allow flavors to blend (about an hour or so).
To watch a video of these recipes being made, go to usaweekend.com. Also check out ThreeManyCooks - a blog that offers lots more great ideas for easy cuisine!